Monday 14 May 2018

3 Excellent YouTube Channels for Primary Music



I end each one of my early years classes (three years through first grade) with a YouTube video. This 2-3 minute activity has become an important part of our regular routine. My students really look forward to this little reward for a job well done, and it settles everyone down before I hand them back over to their parents. Everybody wins!

We have a "class helper" each day, and it is this person that gets to choose the video for the class. Our favorite YouTube channels have many wonderful options which can be overwhelming for my youngest students. I prefer to narrow it down to three choices. This makes it easier for a young child to select a video and avoids the inevitable delay as a young child ponders the unending choices!

Our top three channels are:

1. Super Simple Songs - Kids Songs


These folks offer a wide variety of videos featuring old favorites as well as original songs. We prefer the animated short videos, but they do have other options with human actors and puppets. These animations are of higher quality than those from many other channels I've seen, and the songs are well presented. This is our current favorite from Super Simple Songs:


2. Plank Road Publishing Music Concept Videos (Music K-8)


Plank Road has some super-fun educational videos which reinforce a number of teaching and learning concepts for music education. The songs are catchy and my students are often heard singing the tunes to themselves when trying to complete music theory activities! Our favorite Music K-8 video is Forte Piano:



3. Mother Goose Club


Like Super Simple Songs, the Mother Goose Club has a combination of animated and live action videos. While all of the videos are of high quality, my students tend to go for the animated selections. This one is quite popular, and it's great for reinforcing melodic contour:




I'd love to hear about your favorite YouTube channels. Please share them in the comments!

I give away a complete song package each month, so don't forget to Follow Me on TpT for these and other FREEBIES.

Thanks for reading,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment